Basilica of St. Josaphat
In 1996, Conrad Schmitt Studios completed an extensive restoration of the Basilica of St. Josaphat in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This was an especially significant project for the Studio, since CSS had completed the original decoration of the church in 1926. This project sought to restore the magnificent space to its historic scheme, which included stencils, gold leaf, and murals painted by notable Roman artist Gonippo Raggi.
Five conservators spent 30 days investigating the original decorative scheme. Once the surfaces were documented, 1,100 frames of scaffolding were erected and the interior restoration began. The Studio used several decorative techniques throughout the space, such as gilding, glazing, marbleizing, stenciling, and trompe l'oeil painting.
In conjunction with restoring the interior decoration, Conrad Schmitt Studios also restored the Basilica's stained glass windows. Imported from Austria in 1902, the average window contained more than 200 pieces of cracked or broken glass. The restoration of the broken windows spanned 11, 200 man hours.